Saturday, July 18, 2009

AN ODE TO FREEDOM OF THE PRESS ...

Douglas Thielen
9 Pheasant Drive
New Fairfield, CT 06812
[203] 746-4039
 Letter to the Editor
COMMON CENTS, R.I.P.

This will serve to advise my readers that there will be no more bi-weekly Common Cents columns in New Fairfield’s weekly newspaper. I resigned in disgust last week.

In a nut shell, I am sick and tired of my column being butchered by the editor when I chose to disagree with the narcissistic administration on a hot button issue. I can’t imagine what you could do worse to a writer than to over-edit, twist and contort his or her column and then publish the resultant distortion without advising the writer. The latest machete job was done a few weeks ago and was far from the first time the editor chose to pull the rug out from under me. That has been a periodic occurrence over the Common Cents’ 6+ years of publication.

There are numerous reasons floating around to explain this unprofessional behaviorAdmittedly, I have taken frequent exception of the way New Fairfield is being administered as if it were a monarchy, but that is exactly the current administration’s method of running the townWas the editor threatened with a frivolous lawsuit related to something I wrote? Although without substance, the costs to defend such a lawsuit would bankrupt the paperThat seems to be the most logical explanation, but we’ll never know the truth.  

I refuse to allow my Op-Ed column to be adulterated and myself set up as New Fairfield’s political piñata in the process

I am asking the News-Times to publish this letter since I know it will not be edited. The News-Times has integrity and does not do that.


Doug Thielen
New Fairfield
746-4039
Click Here for Poll


Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making.
John Milton (1608 - 1674)


Post Script: "A Voice of Dissent Silenced but not forgotten ...



Website Polls Powered By MicroPoll
If you feel Common Cents [unedited] should be back in the Citizen News to provide balance, call Ellen at 746-4669.